Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Short, and rather impromptu, trip to GERMANY

I had been talking to Garret about possibly meeting him and Dominic at Oktoberfest in Munich before I had to start work. I went back and forth because I wasn’t sure that the logistics were going to work out but finally I ended up booking to the day before I left CA. What made me do it on such late notice was my friend and co-worker from last year, Lydia, emailed be back and said that I could come and visit her for a couple of days before meeting up with the guys. She leaves only about an hour south of Munich so it seemed only too perfect. The trip was long and got off to a bit of a hectic start (I forgot my wallet at home on my way the airport, had to literally run home, back to bus stop, take a taxi…. So I was running, sweating and cursing myself for being such an idiot….all before 8am) but I finally got there and I was really glad to get to see Lydia. Unfortunately, she was still working on a final thesis paper due that next week. She had planned to have it all under control before I arrived, but as we all know, things happen, so most of the time I was staying with Lydia she was either upset about doing the paper or actually doing it. Oh, and MC-is-an-idiot item #2: I showed up to Germany in flip-flops in a tee-shirt… yeah it is definitely WINTER there already. I just didn’t think about it because basically from when I arrived in Spain until I got on the plane, I was sweating. Luckily, as an after thought, I brought closed to toed shoes. Anyway, while she was working at the library, I went shopping and spent entirely too much money… but hey that coat, jeans, scarf, socks and sweater (ok, fine, and cute top)were all necessities because I brought NO Germany-appropriate clothing!!!
Friday I left Lydia to go meet the guys in Munich. Dom and Floyd were dutifully at the train waiting for me. Dom told me that Garret wouldn’t be there until the next day and Floyd wasn’t feeling well so Dom and I headed to the ‘fest. We got into one of the big tents and ordered beers literally the size of infants. We made friends at our table and had a really good time. SUCH a good time in fact that we lost track of the fact that 3 LITERS of beer tends to go to one’s head after a while. So we decided to take the subway back to our hotel… well apparently Dom and I took a little nap and missed our stop… and ended up about 10 stops and 45 minutes outside of the city. All is well that ends well though; we made it back just fine after we woke up and realized our folly. I had to leave Saturday afternoon but we still had a chance to go down to Oktoberfest to get some lunch…. A half meter bratwurst! And a beer of course. Garret never showed up which was another bummer but, all in all, not a bad international jaunt.

Now I am back in my apartment and I have spent the ENTIRE day resting…. I finally slept for though the night, 12 hours of unconsciousness never felt so good! Tomorrow I have more errands and things to do… oh yeah… and it’s my birthday. Hopefully I get Macarena and maybe her boyfriend to have dinner with me.
Other new roommate just walked in with her boyfriend….(and scared me to death because Rocio left and this chick wasn’t supposed to be here til next week)… they have turned on metal music in her room and are not talking to me…. Awkward…… ok well thinks that’s my cue to head of for a bit. Luckily I have a tapa-date with the other 50% of my friends in this city: Noelia!

No comments: