Friday, October 31, 2008

Feliz Halloween!

Si, hoy es Halloween!

I'm in Puerto again, my little hide-away to the south. Hayley and I were debating which would be the best place to dress-up and run around like the weird Americans that we are , and finally Puerto seemed the better choice. It's raining, which will literally put a damper on our plans, but I have confidence that we will have fun anyway. I have put together a 4 euro pirata costume and H is borrowing some angel wings (the plan is the force her novio to be a devil so they are be a duo). There are more than double the amount of American assistants in Puerto this year and two of them are especially cool, and one is going to use my jacket to be Sarah Palin.... haha SCARRRRRRY!!!! She's got the creepy-Stepford-smile downpat. We will see if anyone gets the joke here.

Work continues to be ridiculously chill. I had a free hour last week so I looked online for Halloween word problems for my math classes. I printed out around 5 and showed them to one of my teachers and she about fainted she was so delighted! They are easy to please here.... its amazing, I do little work and am greatly appreciated, whereas last year I gave my literal blood sweat and tears to that place in exchange for 2 government-paid lunches a week and some light abuse. But hey, that was them, and this is now... Hurray!

......

The first half of this post while Hayley was taking a siesta on Friday. I am now back at home in Sevilla and I have photos!

La pirata, "Twiggy" and Sarah Palin:





Hayley, "Madame Butterfly":





Some of the girls had been invited to a purportedly huge house party in Puerto, but Hayley and I were skeptical because no one has house parties in Spain, mostly because people either 1. Don't have houses, they have flats. 2. Live with their parents until they are about 30. We eventually went to check it out because we were still feeling pretty silly being dressed up downtown because we were defiantly the little group of stupid dressed up Americans plus bartenders dressed to theme. We, or at least I, felt a little stupid. Well, we got to the party and it was CRAZY. There is appearently a MANSION disguised as a normal apartment building in Puerto. We walked in the huge castle-like doors into a huge entry hall, FULL of people, all dressed up, there was a DJ, and enormous bar, and chandeliers?! Imagine if you wanted to pick a set for a movie that involves a Halloween party, in Spain. The place was HUGE. It had a back yard (which also don't exist in Spain) and a POOL, complete with greek columns?! There were these huge paintings on the walls... the occasional religious statue... it was SURREAL. The inhabitants turned out to be some American Navy guys (there is a base one town over), who only pay about 1,200 euro a month to live in a Mansion that they could probably charge entry fees for tours.

No comments: