Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oh Lord, here we go AGAIN!

OH LORD, here we go again…. First few days back in Sevilla
It hit me once when during the fiesta how incredibly fast time flies (yes, when you are having fun) and then it hit me again when I got to Boston to repeat the Alicante reunion we had on my way to Spain last year. Talk about déjà vu. It was just crazy to be doing exactly the same thing, one year later and to think about everything that can happen in a year… what changes, what stays the same.
I had an amazing time in Boston, needless to say. I stayed with Alycia and Kelly, we visited Rob and the usual shenanigans ensued. I also had the pleasure of going to see Boston-contingent of the fam, which was really nice. As oldest cousin, it never ceases to amaze me how the little ones grow in between the times I get to see them. “You feed those things they grow!” as mom would say. ALSO got to see my roommate from this past year, JENNIFER!!! Or, as they say in Bean-town, “Jen-a-FA”! She was amazing and did her very best to give me an authentic Bostonian experience. We picked apples for the love! Also went to Salem and had dinner with her fam, which was amazing.
I still hadn’t quite grasped the concept that I was going to Spain again, even in the airport…. Or during the excruciatingly long journey. It wasn’t until the cab ride from the airport to my apartment when I saw the twilight sky and smelled the Sevilla air that I realized that I was here, back in Spain. Back with an amazing second chance for an even better experience than my last one which set the bar pretty high.
Things are off to a pretty good start. I was successful in enrolling for my Spanish high level grammar class and I am going to meet my new boss tomorrow. I bought a fan so I don’t asphyxiate in my tiny bedroom and I have got a tiny start on unpacking.
….Upon awakening from much needed siesta I met up with Macarena and it was awesome to see a familiar face. She has big plans for being study- buddies and seeing as that she is my only really good friend in this entire country right now… I would probably rob a bank with her if that is what she wanted to do.
Tuesday I met my new boss Rocio (my new roommate’s name is ALSO Rocio… this could get confusing!) I am basically in love with her. She is SO nice. My very first impression was NOT showing up at the time I was supposed to meet her… jetlag overtook me I guess and I completely and literally missed the train. I finally went that afternoon though and she could not have been nicer. She bustled about showing me around and introducing me to whom she could since I showed up 2.5 hours later than expected. I had been pretty worried to say the least about this new school, it being in the same gypsy ghetto as the first and literally next door, but I am happy to say that I feel from only about one hour there that it will be a MUCH better work environment than last year. There are teachers that actually know my purpose and WANT me to be there! Hurray! And Rocio is just so cute I want to squeeze her! She is a little “gordita” and excitable woman who appears to be very open, warm and well organized. I am foreseeing a beautiful relationship.

No comments: